Monday, June 16, 2008

The First Week College Experiences

1. What was most encouraging and motivating to you and why?

While just hanging from 50-60 feet in the air, the most encouraging thing was having people behind me. Other than that I felt very supported by my group because I was supporting them. Motivation was not really an issue, I wanted to do this high ropes course to prove to myself that I could do better this second time. (I did a high ropes course with the YMCA when I was about 7 years old and I froze for about 15 minutes on the 30 feet course). So with my motivation behind this and with the tons of support from my team, I got through the entire thing, although, there were moments that I was scared, but I never really started to panic like I did when I was 7.

2. What was the most challenging and why?

One of the most challenging things in my life I actually faced just last week. Get over a personal fear, a.k.a. being 50-60 feet in the air. I am not really afraid of heights, mostly just afraid of falling from them. I got over it, obviously, though.

3. What did you learn about yourself? Describe the experiences that led you to this new information about yourself.

I learned that I get over my fears easier or quicker in more of a group setting because there are other people than just myself relying on me. To have other people comfronting your fears or difficulties with you makes it much more relaxing or easy to get through.

4. What experiences have made a difference or have had a positive impact on you and why?

So many personal and touching experiences have made a big difference in my life. I have had things like teachers, certain situations, family, friends, etc. impact me in such a way that have changed me forever. Two of the teachers I have had I will never forget; Ms. Bell, my fourth grade teacher at Skinner Magnet, and Mrs. Monger, my fifth and sixth grade History teacher at St. Richard. They were always there to not only help me in school work, but also with life. They always listened and cared to a measure that I have never experienced before with a teacher. I love them for both teaching my subjects that you don't typically learn in school.
There are so many situations that have made me a better person that I don't even know where to start or what to touch on. And the same with family and friends, they are all so great to me. They really aren't like teachers. Teachers don't all impact you so much to where you will never forget them and what they have done for you, but all good family members and friends you will never have to think twice about impacting you in such a way. So sorry family and friends there is too much to write, but you know I love you all and you know what I would write if I even wrote anything!

No comments: